Daikōmyō-ji (大光明寺)

Daikōmyō-ji (大光明寺)

Daikomyo-ji is a sub-temple of Shokoku-ji, and maybe the only one that can be visited, albeit only on special occasions. The temple was founded in 1339 as a hermitage, then converted to a temple when its owner died. The temple fell in disrepair, and was rebuilt by Hideyoshi in 1594.

The temple has two gardens. The front one can be seen from outside even when the temple is closed as the big heavy doors remain open most of the day. The other garden is located in front of the main hall (本堂). It is a large karesansui garden (dry landscape - 枯山水) with a style close to the one of Ryoan-ji.

Recommended for:

Nearby: Hōkō-ji 豊光寺 (100m), Chōtoku-in 長得院 (110m), Yōgen-in 養源院 (170m), Jisho-in 慈照院 (260m), Jiun-in 慈雲院 (260m), Kamigoryō-jinja 上御靈神社 (360m), Ikutanike Jūtaku 生谷家住宅 (440m), Budda-ji 佛陀寺 (530m), Myōken-ji 妙顕寺 (620m), Honman-ji 本満寺 (620m),...

External links: ウィキペディア, Wikipedia, Kyoto Design, 京都風光, Satellite view, Map

Keywords: Japan, 日本, Japon, Kyoto, 京都, 中京, 下京, 上京, 相国寺, Shokoku-ji, temple, 寺院, 仏閣, 大光明寺, Daikomyo-ji

Photos of Daikōmyō-ji:

Pilgrims, Daikomyo-ji temple
Rock garden, Daikomyo-ji temple
Main temple hall and its rock garden, Daikomyo-ji temple
Rock garden entrance, Daikomyo-ji temple
  • id: 452, 4 photos (2 extra photos can be found in the archive).